Thursday, September 22, 2011

See my back? Hop off!!! Only $2B $6B to go? Bring it on and be done with it!

At 25BP per cu per $2Billion of assessment, we only have 1 to 3 assessments to go if we use 25BP as the "pay-down standard".  My vote --- Let's get it over with... hit me with 25 BP for 3 years and let's call it a day. Why do I say this?  Two reasons:

1.  The sheep that leave the fold are not obligated to pay future assessments.  Having an overhanging and ongoing exposure to lessening the "pain" now only increases the amount us remaining "sheep" will have to pay when the wolves move to another charter.

2.  Sooner is better for all... the larger cu's have higher ROA's and can take the hit. They are well above 25BP ROA... That's nothing - Yawn! Smaller cu's have excess capital and the also can take the hit (since they don't seem to be doing anything with their capital anyway!  If you have over 20% capital and you're haven't used it to increase member services / programs by now... I'm pretty sure you're not planning on doing that anytime soon!).

Besides, what better time?  If you have excess capital... you're not earning anything on the funds and paying assessments going forward will be harder due to regulations and competition.  Pay now ... while we still can afford it.

So, let's all pony up and put this behind us, so we can focus on the current issues... Dodd/Frank, Interchange, NCUA, NCUA, NCUA and, last but not least - NCUA, the real threat to cu's.

BTW  on the now-computed worse case, that would bring my total DTD (see post below) to 17% of my 2007 YE capital.  My members are not happy with the hit to "Their Capital", and neither am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment